Bug Bytes is a weekly newsletter curated by members of the bug bounty community. The first series is curated by Mariem, better known as PentesterLand. Every week, she keeps us up to date with a comprehensive list of write-ups, tools, tutorials and resources.
This issue covers the week from November 15 to 22.
Our favorite 5 hacking items
1. Video of the week
Reacting to myself finding an SSRF vulnerability in Google Cloud & Blog post (Google, $10,401.1)
@xdavidhu discovered an SSRF on Google Cloud and filmed the entire process from the bug’s discovery, to exploiting it for RCE, creating the PoC, reporting it, then bypassing the fix.
If you’ve ever dreamed of peeking over the shoulder of a bug hunter while they are finding a critical bug (not just doing recon or practicing in a lab), this is a truly rare opportunity.
2. Writeups of the week
Finding Zero-Day Vulnerabilities in the Supply Chain
How I accidentally hacked many companies using N/A vulnerability in Atlassian Cloud (Atlassian, $15,000)
The second writeup by @Krevetk0Valeriy is about issues in the Atlassian Cloud’s registration flow. This is an interesting read if you like authentication bugs, or an example of digging deep into strange behaviors so that an N/A turns into a $15k finding.
3. Resource of the week
FirstBloodv2 disclosed reports
BugBountyHunter disclosed writeups submitted by members during their last Hackevent, FirstBlood v2. If you can’t get enough of bug bounty writeups, this is a nice collection to explore whether you are interested in server-side, client-side or logic vulnerabilities.
4. Tools of the week
ChronoRace is a Python tool for fine-tuning race condition attacks. @itscachemoney used it to execute carefully timed race condition attacks that circumvent application business logic, such as this email confirmation bypass on Shopify.
If HTTP request smuggling is more your thing, you might be interested in h2rs. This Python tool by @ricardo_iramar can detect request smuggling via HTTP/2 downgrades.
5. Conference of the week
Swiss Cyber Storm 2021 & Slides, especially:
- mXSS in 2021 – One long solved problem? By Mario Heiderich
- Bug Bounty Switzerland: Tales and Vulnerabilities from our Bug Bounty Adventures
- Patterns and anti-patterns in software development By Philippe de Ryck
- State of the art credential stuffing By Jarrod Overson
Other amazing things we stumbled upon this week
- Server-Side Request Forgery (SSRF) | Complete Guide
- Find endpoints in the blink of an eye! GoSpider – Hacker Tools
- S1REN: OSCP Prep Advice
- Testing Your Assumptions with Red Teaming (feat. @mangopdf)
- Using binary search algorithms for blind SQL injection by Juan Pablo Quiñe Paz
- Ekoparty 2021: Main Track & Bug Bounty Space, especially:
- INTENT (Security Research Summit) Talks On Demand
Conference slides, material & whitepapers
- XSinator.com: From a Formal Model to the Automatic Evaluation of Cross-Site Leaks in Web Browsers & XSinator.com (XS-Leak browser test suite)
- DoubleX: Statically Detecting Vulnerable Data Flows in Browser Extensions at Scale, DoubleX tool repo & Tutorial
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Detecting Orphaned Web Pages at Internet-Scale
- Ceterum censeo: Visited esse delendam & Research has come a long way, but gaps remain – security researcher Artur Janc on the state of XS-Leaks
- Backdooring Rust crates for fun and profit
- An introduction to secure code review on Go applications
- A simple Data Exfiltration! (Blind XXE via Excel file upload)
- Client side template injection (CSTI) – November XSS Challenge Writeup & Winners and more writeups
- HackTheBox – BountyHunter
- How to turn an XXE into an SSRF exploit!
- Pentest tale – Dumping cleartext credentials from antivirus #Windows #PostExploitation
- Finding a 0 Day Race Condition #ThickClient
Responsible(ish) disclosure writeups
- All Roads Lead To OpenVPN: Pwning Industrial Remote Access Clients #VPN #Web
- PoC of CVE-2021-42321, Exchange Post-Auth RCE & Some notes about Microsoft Exchange Deserialization RCE (CVE-2021–42321) #Web
- CVE-2021-43557: Apache APISIX: Path traversal in request_uri variable #Kubernetes
- CVE-2021-41277: Metabase LFI & Nuclei template #Web
- Diving into Open-source LMS Codebases #Web #CodeReview
Bug bounty writeups
- CVE-2021-42306 CredManifest: App Registration Certificates Stored in Azure Active Directory (Microsoft)
- Impact of an Insecure Deep Link
- Write Up – Apple N/A: PII Information, Full Contact List, Main Phone No. And Main Icloud Email Extracted; Bug Patched: Arbitrary Local File Read Via Zip File And Symlinks On Ios Files App.
- The tale of CVE-2021–34479 (VSCode XSS) (Microsoft)
- A common defect in java system-Memory DoS (include CVE-2021-2344, CVE-2021-2371, CVE-2021-2376, CVE-2021-2378) (Oracle)
See more writeups on The list of bug bounty writeups.
- TProxer: A Burp Suite extension made to automate the process of finding reverse proxy path based SSRF
- hakfindinternaldomains: Go tool that takes a list of subdomains, resolves them and tells you which ones are internal
- Jira-Lens: Fast and customizable vulnerability scanner For JIRA written in Python
Tips & Tweets
- Strict CSP is now defined in the CSP spec
- You don’t need to use a proxy/vpn when blocked by a WAF…
- Apache mod_proxy SSRF PoC added to Assetnote’s glossary of blind SSRF chains
- The Kelvin sign ‘K’ becomes ‘k’ when lowercased
- Need help with a vuln? Ask @Masonhck3571!
Misc. pentest & bug bounty resources
- GCP pentesting methodology (HackTricks)
- Living Off Trusted Sites (LOTS) Project
- @0xAwali’s methodology for testing File Generation & Sensitive Response
- K8S Nuclei Templates
- Web Attack Cheat Sheet
- HackTheBox Secret CTF 2021 (December 1-5)
- TryHackMe’s Advent of Cyber 3 (2021) (December 1-25)
- 2021 Metasploit Community CTF (December 3-6)
- XSS challenge by @ankursundara
- New Type of Supply Chain Attack Could Put Popular Admin Tools at Risk
- Identity Security Authentication Vulnerability
- GitHub Apps – How to avoid leaking your customer’s source code with GitHub apps
- Abusing Google Drive’s Email File Functionality
- Spoofing Calendar Invites Using .ics Files
Bug bounty & Pentest news
- Black Friday
- Bug bounty
- Upcoming events
- YASCON 2021 (November 28)
- Tool updates