Bug Bytes is a weekly newsletter curated by members of the bug bounty community. The first series is curated by Mariem, better known as PentesterLand. Every week, she keeps us up to date with a comprehensive list of write-ups, tools, tutorials and resources.
This issue covers the week from March 15 to 22.
Our favorite 5 hacking items
@seanyeoh published amazing research on H2C smuggling. He built on Jake Miller’s research on this vulnerability and exploited it in cloud providers that were initially considered not vulnerable.
The second writeup is about a cool bug chain that allowed @alaa0x2 to access a Facebook employee’s account and to compromise Facebook’s internal network. It involves SSRF, account takeover and cookie manipulation.
2. Article of the week
GitHub released details about an interesting bug they fixed. It’s a race condition in their session handling that caused users logged into github.com to randomly be authenticated as other users.
3. Videos of the week
Two videos of very different flavors: The first one is @LiveOverflow interviewing @epereiralopez about winning the 2020 Google Cloud Platform VRP Prize and the RCE that made it possible. So inspirational!
The second video is an excellent primer on networking fundamentals by @TomNomNom.
4. Tutorials of the week
If you’re not familiar with the Hackvector Burp extension, the first tutorial shows cool examples of its usage and capabilities (e.g. how it helps automate MFA authentication).
In the second tutorial, @CryptoGangsta dives deep into the attack surface of custom protocol handlers. It’s an excellent read, packed with information for hackers interested in destop apps.
5. Resource of the week
@TomNomNom shared this list of ~40 ways to execute alert(document.domain). It’s old and somehow I’m just finding out about it, but it’s still very relevant for bypassing WAFs and regexes.
Other amazing things we stumbled upon this week
- Hunting for bugs in GraphQL APIs (Demo) & Live GraphQL Q&A Session
- How to escape docker container?
- SQL Injection – Lab #3 SQLi UNION attack determining the number of columns returned by the query
- ZAP Deep Dive: Report Generation
- WE GOT BREACHED! – An attack and defense scenario using custom Malware and Defender For Endpoints!
- Watch Hackers Demonstrate a Ransomware Attack (ft. Kilian from SecurityFWD)
- LiveQL Episode 2 – The Rhino in the room
- SecuriTEA & Crumpets – Episode 3 – PwnFunction
- DAY Episode 69 – Fast Fuzzing, Malicious Pull Requests, and Rust in my kernel?!
- What the FLoC? – Automatic Fix for Exchange Server Flaw, Firefox 87 Features, MyBB Patch
Webinars & Webcasts
- Make Burp Community feel a little more like Burp Professional
- authorized_keys File Format
- The most common on premises vulnerabilities & misconfigurations
- Deserialization vulnerability
- Anatomy of the Session Management Tests & Session Management All-In-One
- Android reverse engineering for beginners – Dexcalibur
- Paving The Way To DA – Complete Post (Pt 1,2 & 3)
Responsible(ish) disclosure writeups
- F5 Discloses Eight Vulnerabilities—Including Four Critical Ones—in BIG-IP Systems & wvu-r7’s assessment of CVE-2021-22986 #Web
- DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials vulnerabilities: Insecure communication and Universal XSS #Web
- Hack the Stack with LocalStack: Code Vulnerabilities Explained #Web
- [CVE-2021-28379] Abusing file uploads to get an SSH backdoor #Web
- All my Intune users could become Local Administrators and it’s a Feature? #Cloud #LPE
- MyBB Remote Code Execution Chain #Web
- Exploiting remote DoS vulnerability in my not-so-smart TV #IoT
Bug bounty writeups
- Abusing Data Protection Laws For D0xing & Account Takeovers
- Stealing arbitrary GitHub Actions secrets (GitHub, $25,000)
- TikTok for Android 1-Click RCE (TikTok)
- How to Harpon Big Blue! (IBM)
- An Interesting Account Takeover!!
- Dangling DNS: Worksites.net
- CVE-2021-27076: A Replay-style Deserialization Attack Against Sharepoint
- How I made it to Google HOF? (Gogole, $1,000)
See more writeups on The list of bug bounty writeups.
- normal.py: Find unicode codepoints to use in normalisation and transformation attacks
- UnChain: A tool to find redirection chains in multiple URLs
- gitlab-unauth-parser & Intro: Parses unauthenticated Gitlab APIs for users, repos, groups and secrets
- xeuledoc: Fetch information about a public Google document
- Spectroscope: Chrome extension that helps search for endpoints potentially vulnerable to Spectre
- nList: An nmap script to produce target lists for use with various tools
Tips & Tweets
- Found a private SSH key and want to know whose it is?
- Hiding a ZIP archive or MP3 files in PNG images
- File upload encoded hash trick
- Get a very good subdomain list without any tool using GitHub DNS block listing
- How to execute a script on ssh login prior to your shell or command, even if you disable TTY allocation!
- Query Shodan like it’s a SQL database using a Steampipe integration
Misc. pentest & bug bounty resources
- GitLab: How we found and fixed a rare race condition in our session handling
- Browser powered scanning in Burp Suite
- Bypass Strict Input Validation With Remove Prefix and Suffix Patterns & Challenge
- Side channels in web browsers
- Subdomain Takeover in AWS: making a PoC
Bug bounty & Pentest news
- Google: Announcing the winners of the 2020 GCP VRP Prize
- @bbuerhaus’s launching $ziot coin, “an experimental hacker themed social coin that is backed by NFT minted bug bounty vulnerability reports”
- What’s new in Ffuf 1.3.0
- Is Responder part of your pentest/red team workflow? It needs your support to continue existing!
- Infosec Income Questionnaire v2
- OWASP Top Ten 2021 survey
- HackerCon (March 27)
- Establishing asset ownership in vulnerability reporting
- Hacker Rates 12 Hacking Scenes In Movies And TV | How Real Is It? (video)
- How To Make Remote Work Not Suck: The Bishop Fox WFH Guide
Community pick of the week
Well done, @sunilyedla2! Continue keeping calm and hacking, it suits you 🙂
Want to share your bug bounty wins, swag and joys with other Bug Bytes readers? Tag us on social media, we’d love to hear from you too!